Hara Bhara Kabab recipe | Oats Spinach Kebab | Vegetarian Kebab
Hara Bhara Kebabs are vegetarian kebabs made with spinach or other green vegetables. It is a north Indian dish and is most commonly served as a starter or appetizer in Indian restaurants. It’s quick and easy to make snack.
When it comes to health there are not many options available that fit our taste and most Indian snacks are full of oil or maida that are deep-fried. So let us explore this unique healthy and tasty recipe which is kids favourite too.
Hara Bhara Kabab is most commonly made from spinach, potato, and gram flour. But here I have tweaked the recipe a bit and used oats in place of besan to make it healthier. And to my surprise, my family loved it including my 1.5-year-old kid.
Kids are generally very choosy about taking greens, as is mine so I keep on experimenting new recipes to include greens to my Lil one.
- Do not overcook the palak as you may end up losing the beautiful green colour.
- Adding Mango Powder adds to the tangy taste to the kabab.
- You can replace mango powder with lemon juice.
- You can also pre-prepare the kababs and freeze them for a few days.
- Just take out from the fridge a few hours before frying.
Types of Hara Bhara Kabab
- Usually kebabs are made from spinach, potato, and gram flour (besan) but I personally feel there is too much work in roasting the gram flour on low flame so I like to replace besan with oats. This helps in binding and making the kababs crispy.
- You can add other green vegetables like green peas and coriander leaves to enhance the flavour.
- Adjust the amount of chilli as per your taste, you can replace red chilli powder with green chilli or can use both as per your taste.
How to serve Hara Bhara kababs
Hara Bhara kababs are best served right out of the pan as they are crisper; they tend to soften a bit once it is cooled down. Serve it with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
So here presenting you the recipe for “Hara Bhahra Kabab” using oats
You can check the video to see step by step process
- Bunch of Palak/ Spinach
- 1 cup Plain Oats
- Two medium size Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt (as per taste)
- 1/2 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp mango powder
- 3-4 tablespoon oil for frying
- Take a bunch of palak/Spinach wash it well
- Boil the palak in boiling water for 2,3 mins
- Take oil in the pan and fry the palak for 2-3 mins.
- Allow it to cool down.
- Take boiled potatoes and mesh it well
- Mix the potatoes with palak.
- Take one cup of oats and mix it with palak.
- Add all the spices and mix well.
- Take small portions out of it and make small tikkis from it
- Heat a pan and put some oil in it( 2 tablespoons )
- When oil is sufficiently hot fry the Kababs from one side till becomes golden brown
- Once golden brown from one side flip the kabab and fry from the other side as well
- Once done your kababs are ready to be served
- You can serve it with sauce or green chutney