Kadhai Chicken | Easy Restaurant Style Kadhai Chicken at home
How to make tasty Restaurant Style Kadhai Chicken at home
One of the most popular and loved Chicken delicacies while eating out is Kadhai Chicken or sometimes called Chicken Kadhai. It is a famous North Indian Cuisine and as the name suggests, it is cooked in a Kadhai, called as Wok in English. Traditionally, it involves slow cooking in Cast Iron Wok and the recipes incorporate a lot of coriander seeds freshly ground to add to the taste.
However, as there are no strict rules to cooking… I ditched the Iron Wok and used a large non-stick Saucepan. Also, I wanted to use Coriander Powder instead of the seeds and check if it tasted anything different. Guess how it was !!! It was A-mazing 🙂 🙂 Not saying that you should ditch the seeds forever, but once a while it is okay and go ahead with the ready to use ingredients.
Kadhai Chicken tastes great with Indian Bread like Naan, Roti, Paratha, Chapati or plain Steamed Rice. I personally enjoy it with Steamed Basmati Rice. Love it!
I also have a written recipe for Boneless Chicken Chilli-Dry If you haven’t read, you can Read it Here.
So, here goes Kadhai Chicken Recipe..my way…
- Chicken Cleaned and Cut into pieces approx 800 gm(I have used only the leg pieces)
- Mustard Oil/Cooking Oil 2 tbsp
- Fresh Ginger Garlic Paste 2 tbsp(I have also ground Green Chillies 3 in number along with Ginger and Garlic)
- Onion 3 medium ground
- Bay Leaves 2 to 3
- Cinnamon an inch stick
- Big Cardamom 2
- Small Cardamom 2
- Black Peppercorns 5
- Cloves 2
- Tomatoes 2 medium ground
- Curd 1 Cup
- Coriander Powder 2 tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder 1+½ tsp
- Chicken Masala 1 big heaped tbsp
- Garam Masala 1 tsp
- Salt as required
- Desi Ghee 1 tbsp
- For Garnishing:
- Green Chillies Slit 2 to 3
- Fresh Coriander Leaves
- In a large bottom saucepan add mustard oil and allow it to become really hot till smoke comes out. This step is really essential as it removes the pungent smell of the oil. Then add the ‘Khada Masalas’ and ginger garlic paste. Roast it and see that ginger garlic paste doesn’t get burnt.
- Then mix onion paste and roast till golden brown.
- Now add chicken pieces, put salt and keep stirring at medium to high flame. Roast the chicken with onion gravy till you achieve a golden crust at top.
- It’s now time to mix in the tomato paste and keep stirring.
- Add Coriander powder, Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder and Chicken Masala and cover the lid. Turn the flame low at this stage.
- After 2 minutes, remove the lid and give it a mix so that all chicken pieces are well coated with the masalas. Cover the lid again and let it simmer.
- Now add curd to it and let it simmer with lid closed. Let the chicken slow cook so that the masalas can really seep into the pieces and result in a flavourful dish.
- Add a little water if required. This is a totally optional step as per your liking of the consistency of the gravy. At this point, I add Homemade Desi Ghee and garam masala and cover it again. Keep checking till it is done and adjust the spice level if required.
- Check for the gravy and taste for a final time, and your juicy, succulent and flavourful Chicken Kadhai is ready to be served.
- Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and slit green chilies and enjoy with Roti or Rice.