Best Eggless Chocolate Sponge Cake
How to make Eggless Moist and Fluffy Chocolate Sponge Cake easily
“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.”
Rightly said Mr. Charles M. Schulz, and I totally live by this thought. It always brings that nice comforting feel and can boost up your mood instantly. So here I am with my Basic and Easy Eggless Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe. It is moist even without the eggs, just like the store bought and can form the base of a variety of luscious desserts. You can pour some ganache or load it with chocolate chips, or eat it just like that. There’s a treat for everyone and is a kids favorite as well. So without a further ado, let’s dive into the recipe.
Key Points to Remember:
- To maintain the texture of the cake, give some extra time to beat the batter. Beat it till light and fluffy but remember not to overbeat. As this would result in sinking in the middle during baking.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients at least twice to incorporate more air in it.
- Gently mix in the wet ingredients and fold in the batter using Cut and Fold method.
- In case of eggless sponge cake, it’s advisable to demould the cake after taking it out from the oven. Demould it once it is cooled down slightly. Don’t let it cool for long in the mould as it might result in a dense and flat texture.
Starting with the recipe, Preheat your oven at 180 degrees C. Grease and Dust a 7.5” or 8” Round Baking Pan. I wanted to make a big sponge, so have taken quantities as per my need. You can always play along with the quantities you want to bake and adjust accordingly.
- All Purpose Flour(Maida) 3 cups
- Powdered Sugar 1+½ Cups
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 5 tbsp
- Olive Oil or Flavourless Oil 1 Cup (You can also use melted butter or ghee at room temperature)
- Milk 1+½ Cups.
- Salt a pinch.
- Baking Powder 2 Tsp
- Baking Soda 1 Tsp
- Vanilla Essence 2 tsp (If using Pure Vanilla Extract then 1 tsp is fine)
- Instant Coffee Diluted in 1 tbsp of hot water. This is an optional step and can completely skip, but trust me it brings out the flavor even better.
- Choco Chips(Optional). You can use any other topping as per your liking or leave it just like that.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt at least twice.
- Then add oil and coffee mix to it and gently fold it in.
- Gradually add milk to it while folding in the batter using cut and fold method.
- Mix the batter to form a smooth consistency. Add more milk if required. Adjust the consistency to a flowing form but it should not be too runny.
- Then add Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Vanilla Essence and give it a final mix.
- Please ensure not to overmix the batter.
- Transfer the batter into the already greased and dusted round baking tin.
- Tap it a multiple times to remove air bubbles if any.
- Sprinkle choco chips if you want. I have saved it for later as I wanted a basic sponge.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 45 minutes or unless a toothpick inserted in comes out clean.
- Allow it to cool before you cut it otherwise the cake will crumble into pieces.
- I have now topped it with choco chips and drizzled some chocolate sauce over it.
Look at that sponge. It is super moist, fluffy, tender and yumminess in every bite.
Let me know how did you like it. Feel free to leave queries if any. Share your feedback in case you try it.
Baking is Happiness Multiplied