Nylon Khaman | Besan ka Dhokla
How to make Nylon Khaman or Besan ka Dhokla at home
Besan ka Dhokla or Nylon Khaman as the name suggests are soft and succulent, spongy and so very juicy. The recipe originates from Gujarat, is very easy to make and is yummilicious. It is a perfect blend of flavours from sweet to salty, spicy and tangy. It is quite a popular dish across India, loved by all and can be taken in Breakfast or as a Starter/Snack. It is kids favourite and light on tummy as well. It goes well with Green Chutney or Rai Wali Mirchi or can be enjoyed just like that. If it’s your favourite as well, and wanna know how to make this irresistible piece of Soft Sponge, then please read on further.
- 1 cup Gram Flour(Besan)
- 1 cup Yogurt.
- ½ cup Semolina(Rava)
- A pinch of Turmeric(Optional)
- 2 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 packet fruit salt(Eno)/1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp ginger green chilli paste(Optional: if you don’t like that spicy)
- Juice of half a lemon(not in pic)
- Oil for greasing
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp Black Mustard Seeds(Rai)
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds(Til)
- 3 green chillies slit
- Few Curry Leaves
- a pinch of Asafoetida
- ½ cup of Water
- Finely Chopped Coriander(Dhania) for Garnishing
- Take a deep bowl and mix Besan, Semolina, Yogurt, Turmeric, Sugar, Ginger-Green Chilli Paste, Lemon Juice and salt with an approximately ¾ cup of water. Mix well using a spoon/whisk to get a smooth batter.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and mix lightly.
- Pour the batter in a pre-greased microwave safe steamer container and Microwave on High Power for 8 to 10 minutes or unless completely steamed.
- Alternatively, in case you don’t have Microwave Steamer, you can pour the mixture immediately into a greased thali and spread evenly by rotating the thali.
- Steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked. You can check for the skewer inserted comes out clean. Keep it aside.
- Once it is cooled, demould it carefully from the container.
- In the meantime, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds begin to crackle, add the curry leaves, sesame seeds, asafoetida, green chillies, salt, sugar and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Then add water to it and let it come to a boil.
- Pour the tempering over the prepared dhoklas and spread it evenly and cover it. Let it cool. Your Soft and Fluffy Nylon Khaman is ready to be relished.
- Cut into desired shapes, garnish with coriander and serve immediately with Green Chutney.
For the Best Taste Always, garnish just before serving.
Please try and let me know your feedback. Drop in a message in case of any query.
Happy Cooking Spread Happiness.